Friday, February 1, 2019

Thing 5: Audio Tools

I have always wanted to try a podcast with my students, but have never taken the time to do so. The first thing that comes into mind when it comes to incorporating it into my lessons is to create a classroom podcast that my students can plan, research, record, and present. It could be something as simple as a daily news or weather report or more complex where students can use higher level thinking skills to demonstrate their understanding of what they have learned in the classroom.

Before I get my students recording audio, I would like to get more comfortable with it myself first. I might start of recording myself reading chapters in a book or teaching lessons so that if a student is absent or not in class, then they can listen to my blog. I can even use these podcasts over again for lessons that I do year after year with my students.

I LOVED the link that you can upload a picture, find a mouth, and upload audio to it. I think the students would have so much fun with this and it would be a great way to get the students started with blogging. It is fun, exciting, new, funny, and is still educational!

One major advantage of student podcasting is that students who are shy or get anxious being up in front of the class can have an alternative way to present their work to the class. If a student creates a podcast to play for the class, then they can still present their work just like the rest of the students but they do not have have the anxiety of presenting to their peers.

The audio that I decided to create was an assessment reading passage. I read through a passage that my students were taking as an assessment. I chose this because I have a few students that require tests read according to their IEP. I do not always have a special education teacher in the classroom so it is hard for me to read to just those students and also monitor the rest of the class. This way when IEP students are being assessed, they can listen to the passage that I can send to them via Google classroom and they can work at their own pace. As a result, I can monitor the entire class and the IEP students can move on when they are done and not have to wait for everyone to finish before we move on to the next passage.





1 comment: